August 3, 2017
Today is my spiritual
birthday. I accepted Christ on
August 3, 1958. I remember the
place and scene so well. It was a
Sunday evening in Tucson, Arizona and my mother and I were on the back porch when
I asked her about the 5 day club teaching she was doing. When I accepted Christ that night, even
as a 4 year old, I felt a weight roll off my back. Much later I identified with Bunyan’s Pilgrim, whose heavy
pack was relieved of him when it rolled down to a place under the cross. It has been almost 59 years of walking
with the Lord and I still feel like a child in so many ways. I was very passionate in my early years,
telling people about Jesus and thinking I would become a pastor. Some of my passion was quieted when I
wanted to be a cowboy and an astronaut.
But through the years, I have always known in my heart that I was in
Christ. There were teen years when
I wandered from the Lord, but He was always there, like the “Hound of Heaven”
calling me back into relationship with Himself. I also identify with the “Footprints in the Sand” poem and
prayer. He has had to carry me
many times in our walk together.
My mother, June, prayed for me
regularly as she did all her children.
Later Miss. Elizabeth Stewart fervently prayed, even during my teen
rebellion years, that I would become a minister. When I was accepted at Talbot Seminary to study for
ministry, I called her and told her that her prayers had been effective. The following day she died and unknown
to me, had left some money in her will that covered my seminary tuition. (Susan and I named our second son, Mat,
“Matthew Stewart” in her memory and honor. Ironically, later he would marry the love of his life;
Elizabeth.)
As I stand on the threshold of
another year, I am exceedingly grateful for so many things. I have so much to
be thankful for. When I count my
blessings, you my friend are a big part of the tally. Thanks so much for your friendship. Mark vonEhrenkrook
No comments:
Post a Comment